Sunday 15 November 2009

overexposed; essays on contemporary photography, by Carol Squiers


whilst on the train, i read one of the essays from this book which discussed how photography is changing, mainly because i thought this might inspire me for my final piece... But was pleasantly suprised at how much i enjoyed it, and agreed with a lot of its points. 
Towards the beginning the essay discusses how film photography is now a dying art, and was first described as a way of preserving history in an image, also known as a death mask.
when the essay carried on, it began describing film as out of date, forgotten, abandoned, and more arty than documental. 

These key words really stuck to me, and got me thinking of how i could interpret these into my final piece. Since i found that abandoned and ruined building was one of my favourite subjects to shoot, i began thinking of how the key words i mentioned not only fit into the subject of film photography, but fit as a description to my subject, giving me the idea of using my subject as a metaphor for my project and views. 

Besides just using a set of normal images, I've been particuarly enjoying using experimental pictures, so i hope to use alot of experimentation in my final images, also because this will fit in with the point from the essay of 'film is more of an art form than documental.' 

No comments: